Ważne: nasze strony wykorzystują pliki cookies. Wyrażasz zgodę na używanie cookie, zgodnie z aktualnymi ustawieniami przeglądarki. Zapoznaj się z polityką prywatności.

..."humanizing" the Victorian working class..., Społeczeństw

..."humanizing" the Victorian working class..., Społeczeństw

Postprzez Klementyna Glińska » Pn sty 04, 2010 5:59 pm

M. Arnold, The Complete Prose Works, ed. R. H. Super (Ann Arbor, 1960-77), t. 2.

H.G.Robinson, On the Use of English Classical Literature in the Work of Education,\"Macmillan\'s Magazine\" 2 (1860), s. 427 i 431:
\"In [English] literature we have a most valuable agency for the moral and intellectual culture of the [common]classes. Assuredly among the liberal arts that so humanise, literature occupies the first place. If anything will take the coarseness and vulgarity out of a soul, it must be refined images and elevated sentiments. As a clown will instinctively tread lightly and feel ashamed of his hob-nailed shoes in a lady\'s boudoir, so a vulgar mind may, by converse with minds of higher culture, be brought to see and deplore the contrast between itself and them, and to make an earnest effort to put off its vulgarity.\"

J.W. Hales, The Teaching of English, [w:] Essays on a Liberal Education, ed. F W. Farrar, London 1867

T.B. Macaulay, The Government of India, [w:] Speeches on Politics and Literature, New York-London, 1909

J.D. Wilson, Milestones on the Dover Road, London 1969, s. 22:
\"[A liberal education in English] would form a new element of national unity, linking together the mental life of all classes.\"

Raport Newbolt - The Teaching of English in England (1921):
\"The Professor of Literature should be a missionary in a more real and active sense than any of his colleagues. He has obligations not merely to the students who come to him to read for a degree, but still more towards the teeming population outside the University walls, most of whom have not so much as \"heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.\" The fulfillment of these obligations means propaganda work, organisation and the building up of a staff of assistant missionaries. But first, and above all, it means a right attitude of mind, a conviction that literature and life are in fact inseparable, that literature is not just a subject for academic study, but one of the chief temples of the human spirit, in which all should worship.\" (Ibid., 259)

J.C. Collins, The Study of English Literature, London 1891.

I.A. Richards, Principles of Literary Criticism, London 1928.

I.A. Richards, Practical Criticism, London 1929.

C. Brooks, The Well-Wrought Urn, London 1949.

J.C. Ransom, The New Criticism, Norfolk 1941.
Klementyna Glińska
Użytkownik

Powrót do WSPÓLNOTY: NARÓD – SPOŁECZEŃSTWO – PAŃSTWO – EUROPA